Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

You are Significant and YOU MATTER - Angela Maiers

Angela Maiers is an amazing person. She travels Iowa, the nation and the world working with educators and students. Her message is one of personal empowerment. She recently spoke at the TEDx - Des Moines where she delivered an inspirational talk about the importance of paying attention to others and validating their importance.

I have seen Angela speak and count her as a friend but this talk is quite moving and YOU MUST take 20-minutes to watch it. She shares stories of working with students and motivating them to do their best by acknowledging their genius. This is what we need to do every day to empower others and ultimately make the world a better place.

Thank you, Angela.

What are your reactions to watching this video?  Please watch it and share.
Your opinion MATTERS!!!


4 comments:

  1. Dr. Z,

    I am humbled and honored by all the stories and leaders like you that inspired this talk! I am so thrilled the message has resonated. You matter in my learning and in my life; I am so proud to call you friend!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Z.
    I watched this video and it has given me great ideas to incorporate into my training class I facilitate. I have recently found that my new hires do not feel valued when they join the team. I think this is a great way to get the ball rolling in the right direction and change the trend which I am currently experiencing.

    Until now I have not thought about writing down what I "notice." However, I do find that team members in my department have come to me (months after training) and told me how much the appreciated when I remembered the personal stories they had shared with me.

    Great video thanks for the link. I follow Angela on Twitter but I must have missed this when it was originally posted.

    Regards,
    John Engelhart

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    You are a special teacher when you take the time to pay attention your students' self esteem.

    The whole process of learning in a classroom can be "demeaning" because the student is admitting that teacher knows something more than the student. It is a important to support students in knowing how important they are as individuals.

    Keep up the good work and your important attitude.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. One way to show students that they are special is to remember their names at the very beginning of the term, It was always difficult for me to remember the names so early since I had 6 classes and each class had between 10-18 students, so I wrote my student's name next to different lines in my own book, my roster, and a paper. I had my book on one desk, and roster on the other one so that I could see the names when I walked, I was calling my students names, and they were happy! I could see it, in their response.
    also writing A for absent students and the next session asking them why they were absent made some of them smile and pay more attention during the class. Some little things could mean so much to some people's lives.
    It was a great Movie Dr.Zeitz, Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your ideas on this topic.